Saturday 12 January 2013

Spoon-feeding Christianity

I was recently invited to Joplin, MO, the home to a devastating hurricane two years ago, to speak at a Christian school. The night before I was to speak, I asked God what HE wanted me to say to this young generation of believers. I had to keep in mind that my audience would be ages ranging from 6 - 18 years old. I focused on what God wanted me to say to these future Christian soldiers and not what I wanted them to hear.

I was perplexed about what my content would be. I have been on an exciting, ignited and passionate journey speaking about the urgency of the gospel. My spiritual focus and fire has been to explain why we must as a body of Christ reach the Muslim world. I have passionately and desperately communicated to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ that reaching the Muslim world is not an optional accessory to our Christian lives, but rather a matter of obligation. It sits firmly in the fold of our Christian obligation if we are to have a logical and honest conversation about the completion of the Great Commission.

Yet, as I sat in bed asking God what He wanted me to say to the kids, I thought about how intense and scary it would be to talk about the urgency of the gospel and the importance as Christians to truly understand God's mission and redemptive plan. I would freak the kids out!! And I was sure that the school staff and leaders would be less than happy to hear me passionately advocating the responsibility we have as Christ ambassadors to be prepared to take on God's mission, no matter the cost.

As I sat in bed in silence, I felt God's overwhelming peace and direction that it was exactly what He wanted me to speak about.

This experience stirred something in my heart and mind that did not sit well with me. Why was I hesitant to share with the young kids about God's command and urgency to reach the nations? Is there a time frame when a Christian is suppose to gradually adjust to the mission and truth? Are we meant to have our Christian lives and obligations spoon-fed to us? What does that look like? It breaks my heart to see so many followers of Christ live out their faith as if to be a Christian is simply that we are saved, to be Christlike as possible, go to Church, read your Bible, give your tithing, and go on a mission trip here and there. Our service has become more about social activism than evangelism! Missions have become more about the compassion to the poor than glory to God! Yes, Christ focused on the needy and poor, and so must we, but we must not lose the larger and eternal focus that it is all about His glory! As Piper said, "Mission exist because worship doesn't"

Where is the true understanding of discipleship?! "Go out and make disciples," said our Lord! Yet, discipleship is often an optional component to the obligation/ goals of churches, ministries and in our personal Christian lives. Discipleship must remain the core to all that we do! Where is the true knowledge of God's redemptive plan?!   So many Christians live without the full and deeply scriptural understanding of God's mission that is laid out clearly from Genesis to Revelations. Yet, the plan and purpose (our responsibilities) is overlooked because we focus merely on the blessings and gift (salvation and grace) We have become the nation of Israel, We want the blessings without the responsibilities! 

We live in a society of information overload, and this reality has spilled over to our faith. It has now become the knowledge of faith rather than the obedience of faith! What good is faith without the willingness to obey it? I shall put it in plain world talk: Actions speak louder than words! So, my fellow Christians, continue to read your Bibles, memorize scripture verses and walk around with your "Christian" lingo and vocabulary. I am not sure how you will reach the unreached people, nations, tongues and tribes that way, but what it does give you is spiritual disillusionment and denial. I pray you do not fall into spiritual disillusionment my friends. However, I also know that with this "obedience of faith" comes risk, suffering, commitment and the willingness to go into dark places. We are children of light and our lights shine brighter where there is greater darkness. Let us not forget that He instructed us to be lights to those who sit in darkness. I pray that you will not settle being comfortably Christian. I think about 2 Peter 2:21 "For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them."  I think about how this verse can also be carried over to our responsibilities towards the Great Commission and for those who know the mission, yet choose not to live it out. "For it would have been better for them never to have known the OBEDIENCE OF FAITH FOR HIS PURPOSE than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them." (Again, I am careful to mention that I do not mean that we are all called to full-time ministry, but we are called to allow our daily lives and professions to be an opportunity for witness and discipleship)

Please do not spoon-feed your Christianity. Please do not be ok with spoon-feeding God's mission and truth to your children and to the next generation. The young generation is entrusted to carry God's light, truth, mission and message to all ends of the earth for the sake of the completion of the Great Commission. Let us not spoon-feed them their obligations.

We are a VOICE OF A GENERATION that will carry the message of eternal salvation. We are obligated to know from the very beginning of our walk with God what the mission is and to pray for God to lead each one of us to our unique callings for His Kingdom cause! Our Lord is calling out to His army and patiently raising up His loyal servants who not only know the mission, but are willing to have the courage and strength to obey His call.

I pray that this young generation of believers, including myself will feed our children the truth, mission and purpose of God's redemptive plan from the beginning of their lives as ambassadors of Christ sent to be the living, breathing, walking proof of His love.

There is a tragedy in knowing that we stand on the foundation of one faith and serve one King, yet our knowledge, perspectives, and obedience to our faith can not find common ground and behavior.  We are limited by our human selves, yet we are forgiven and saved by His splendid grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment